23SU, 23FA, 24WI/SP & 23-24 Year-Long Study Abroad
Click on each section for more details:
Program Application Limit
Completing/Returning to Your Application
Paying for Study Abroad/Withdrawal Policy
We will continue to accept applications through February 27 for the following study abroad programs:
- 2023 Summer - National Health Systems
- 2023 Fall - Australia
- Winter and/or Spring 2024: Non Union applications due April 14, 5pm
Applications can be found at www.union.edu/international. All applications should be submitted online, we suggest you use Chrome or Firefox for best results.
Confirm you meet the eligibility requirements
Program Application Limit
- You can apply to up to two fall programs. For winter and spring term applications, there is no limit.
- You must rank your preference. For winter and spring term applications, ranking is not required.
- For fall term programs only if accepted to both programs, you will be automatically placed in your first choice program and removed from the second choice program to allow another student to have that spot
- Passport Information (passport should not expire until after June 2024 for fall programs)
- Study Abroad Experience (Programs applied to in the past through International Programs. Students whose programs have been cancelled due to COVID will have priority over other students)
- Student Essay
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Faculty/Administrator Recommenders - the names and emails of 2 faculty/administrators who would be willing to recommend you if the evaluative committee, composed of three faculty, were to reach out to them
- COVID-19 Vaccination Information - you must be vaccinated or have received an exemption from Union College
- Application Release
- Advisor (or Chair) approval of your application
- Diversity Statement/Release for International Programs - this is optional information
If you are unable to complete the application in one sitting, to return to it at a later date:
- Click here OR
- Go to our homepage and click on the last item in the right-hand menu, Log Into Existing Application(s) OR
- Go to https://myapps.union.edu/ and select Study Abroad - International (not TerraDotta - International)
- Decision letters for summer and fall programs will be emailed to all applicants after 4:00 pm on Friday, February 10.
- Independent Study Abroad and William Cady Stone letters will be emailed before the end of the winter term, 2023.
- Non-Union letters will be emailed by the end of spring term, 2023.
- Summer and Fall programs: If accepted, you must commit on your online application by Tuesday, February 21.
- Withdrawal Policy
- After committing to a program, the withdrawal policy will apply if you withdraw. The policy is in the Academic Catalog under Major, Minors and Other Programs.
- Passports: Students going abroad must have a passport that is valid for the duration of the program abroad. Some countries require passports to be valid for up to 6 months after the date of entry. Students are responsible for determining entry and exit requirements for the location of their study abroad program. If you do not yet have a passport, have a passport that has expired or will expire while you are abroad, we strongly urge you to apply for or renew your passport now. Note: For many of the fall programs, we will need to send the host university a copy of your passport before the end of the winter term.
- Visas: Students accepted to study in Belgium, Brazil, France (Rennes), Greece, Japan, Spain, Taiwan, Turkey or Vietnam will need to obtain a student visa here in the US before the departure date for the program abroad. If you are accepted and will be going to one of these countries, we will be providing information about the compliance process to secure a visa so that you can legally enter and remain in the host country during your studies.
- Beginning mid-January, the U.S. Department of State's Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program will accept applications for students participating in credit-bearing study abroad programs that start between May 1, 2023 to April 30, 2024. This cycle encompasses Academic Year 2022-2023, Summer 2023, Fall 2023, Winter Break 2023, Winter 2024 and Spring 2024 programs. All eligible applicants are encouraged to apply.Applications are due Thursday, March 9, 2023, by 11:59 pm (pacific).For more information about the Gilman Scholarship visit the Gilman website at www.iie.org/gilman. At Union, you may also make an appointment with Lynn Evans, Director of The Office of Fellowships and Doctoral Pathways.
- Withdrawal Policy
WHEN OFFICIAL WITHDRAWAL OCCURS WITHDRAWAL FEE After committing to program $350 59 - 31 days before the start $2,500 30 days before the start $3,800 (mini-term), $4,000 (all other programs) During the program $3,800 (mini-term), $5,000 (all other programs)